Targeted Age of Child: 10-18
Targeted Audience: Pre-teens and teens with identified/diagnosed issues with aggression/violence, conduct disorder, delinquency, and/or substance abuse.
Effectiveness Within Racial/Ethnic Groups, Gender and Settings:
- Evaluated for effectiveness with African-American, Caucasian and Hispanic Families
- Evaluated for effectiveness in urban, suburban and rural settings
- Evaluated as effective for both genders
Program Description: Using a combination of group and family therapy this program strives to rejuvenate the child/parent relationship by teaching skills to re-build and restructure a mutually nurturing relationship while simultaneously providing the parent(s) with tools and strategies to set limits, maintain discipline and ensure the safety and well being of their adolescent child(ren).
- Reduced adolescent substance use
- Reduced adolescent aggressive behaviors
- Reduced adolescent depression
- Decreased conduct disorder among children
- Reduced adolescent attention deficit disorder issues
- Reduced externalizing problems
- Reduced recidivism
- Improved adolescent-parent communication
- Decreased mothers' negative perceptions and attitudes toward their adolescent
Number of Sessions and Format:
- Six weekly two hour classes for up to six families of parents, teens and sometimes siblings or extended family
- First hour consists of group therapy with parents and teens together
- Second hour consists of parent and teen breakout out groups
- Three to twenty one to two hour individual family therapy sessions that run concurrently with the group sessions though they may extend beyond the group therapy period
Staffing: Group facilitators must be master's level certified therapists. Case loads should consist of 10-20 families for high risk youth or 25-35 families for low to medium risk youth. Co-facilitators may be bachelor's level in a human services or therapy related field, however they must be supervised by a master's level therapist.
Registry Listings: SAMHSA, OJJDP, HAY
Diana L. Bala
Savannah Family Institute, Inc.
P.O. Box 30381
Savannah, GA 31410
Web site: http://www.gopll.com